Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Substitutions

I found this great little article in the paper on substituting with broth and juice, when it calls for alcohol. I though I would share it....

Substitute the following:

1 cup beer: 1 cup chicken or beef broth in soup or stew dishes
1 cup red wine: 3/4 cup red grape juice plus 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, or equal parts beef stock or broth (for stews and sauces)
1 cup white wine: 3/4 cup white grape juice, apple juice or cider, plus 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or lemon juice (for marinades)
1 cup sparkling wine: equal parts sparkling grape juice, sparkling cider or grape juice
2 tablespoons rum: 2 tabelspoons apple cider or water mixed with 3/4 to 1 teaspoon rum extract
2 tablespoons whiskey: 2 tablespoons apple cider or water with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Brandy: equal parts fruit syrup

I don't know if this will help anyone, but thought I'd put it out there, just in case! :)

1 comment:

M {3 said...

I've always wondered about how to substitute these, thanks.