Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

This recipe came from my friend Jodi's food blog! She is an amazing cook and she made this for me after we had Harrison. I've wanted to make it for a while now and finally got around to it! I am posting her recipe as it appears on her blog, and I will note*** how I made a few changes. This recipe is seriously easy and so good! It was the perfect main dish for our dinner tonight as the weather was cold and dreary outside!

1 med onion
2 celery stick, chopped finely
2 carrots, sliced finely
1/2 c butter ( I get away with just using a 1/4)
1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 c chicken broth
1 Pkg Uncle Bens Wild Rice (microwave according to pkg)
2 c half and half ( I use fat free)
2 cups shredded, boiled chicken
1 tsp. parsley

Melt butter in a pan, add onion, celery, carrots and saute...Stir in flour, blend it around, add 4 c chicken broth, bring to a boil. Boil for 1 min., then add 2 c cooked rice. than add all other ingredients.

***Here are my changes, I used Bird's Eye brand steamable brown and wild rice medley. This was super easy as all I had to do was microwave the package for about 4 minutes. This wild rice medley had corn, peas and carrots already in it, so all I sauteed in the butter was the onion and I didn't add celery. I also added a little bit of grandpa salt and used canned chicken. This cut down on prep time a lot! And it still tasted amazing! Definitely try this recipe, it is delicious! And it was awesome with some homemade boule bread!!! Enjoy!

No comments: