Thursday, April 22, 2010

Chicken Mango Rice Salad

1-1/2 cups rice (before cooking)(I used Jasmine rice)
1 Tbs. butter
1 medium onion, diced
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 avocado, peeled and diced (I might add more next time, I love avocado!)
1 mango, peeled and diced (make sure it is ripe, mine was pretty tart!)
3/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (I would maybe use less than this next time)
1-1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
3-1/2 Tbs. lime juice (~the juice of 2 limes)
1/3 cup olive oil

In a skillet on medium heat, saute dry rice and diced onions together in butter.
When rice is slightly browned and onions are softened, add the rice to 3 cups of boiling water with 3 bouillon cubes. Cover and simmer as directed on package directions (about 20 minutes for white rice and 50 minutes for brown rice). Set aside.

Add cooled, diced chicken breasts to rice, then add in the mango, avocado, and chopped cilantro. Toss together, then in a separate bowl combine lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper then pour over chicken/rice/fruit mixture. Stir just until combined. Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 8.

Enjoy!

No comments: