Sunday, April 22, 2012

Old Fashioned Chocolate Cobbler

We like to make a special treat every Sunday as part of our Sunday dinner and I had seen a couple of versions of this dessert over the past few months.  I thought it would be a fun simple dessert to try and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped!  Plus it got a thumbs up from everybody in our house.  It is reminiscent of chocolate molten cakes, only in a bigger pan and easier to prepare!  

3/4 cup sugar
1 cup self rising flour (or 1 cup all purpose flour with 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt)
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk
3 Tablespoons melted butter 
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the above ingredients and spread into a greased 11X7 inch baking dish.  Note that this is smaller than your traditional cake pan!  

Next mix together
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa

Sprinkle evenly on the above mixture.

Pour 1 1/2 cups water gently over all!  

Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 40 minutes.  Serve hot or cold.

I'm not sure the science of it all but after it bakes there is cake on top and a yummy chocolate sauce on the bottom!  Amazing!

We ate ours hot with a spoonful of cool whip on top.  Yummy!

No comments: