Monday, April 2, 2012

Black Bean Flourless Chocolate Cake

I had some folks over for dinner and needed to make a gluten-free, dairy-free dessert and came across this recipe. I was a little dubious at first (and Eric even more so), but after giving it a try, I'd definitely recommend it. You can't taste the black bean flavor in the cake and we didn't tell some of the guys what was in it until they had scarfed it down - man were they surprised! 
So if you're feeling adventurous, or feel like making a healthy-ish dessert, give it a try. I will definitely be making this again. 


Note: I served it with coconut milk and strawberries, but you can frost it like you would a normal cake. I also didn't follow the parchment paper step and with ample spraying of the pan, I had no problems getting it out.


Coconut Milk Note: To serve with coconut milk, simply put a can of full-fat coconut milk in your fridge over night. When you open it the next day, the liquids and the solids will have separated, with the solids on top. You can whip it with a little sugar, vanilla, or other flavoring (cinnamon?) to make a light and creamy topping.


Black Bean Chocolate Cake (Flourless)
Ingredients:
·1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
·3 eggs, separated
·2 TBS applesauce
·1 TBS pure vanilla
·Pinch of sea salt
·6 TBS butter, softened
·¾ cup sugar
·¼ cup cocoa powder
·1 tsp double acting baking powder
·½ tsp baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease a 9" cake pan and dust with cocoa powder. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, and grease. In a blender, puree black beans, egg yolks, applesauce, vanilla, and sea salt until completely smooth. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add bean puree to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are completely combined. Fold in egg whites by hand until just combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth out the top, and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cake is finished when firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let the cake cool completely. Frost with your favorite frosting/cake toppings and serve.

Yield: one 9" cake

1 comment:

mamasteph said...

I'm intrigued! I've come across a couple of dessert recipes that call for black beans and have wanted to try it! Now with your review of this recipe I won't be so afraid to try it! :) Thanks for posting it!