Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Broccoli Salad

I've made this a couple of times in the last few weeks and I think it is going to be a staple at our house. Super easy to prepare, tastes fresh, and keeps well in the fridge. It makes a great side dish and it easily customizable with what you have in your kitchen.

Broccoli Salad
4 cups broccoli, chopped into small florets
1 cup cranberries (or raisins if you prefer)
1/3-1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4-1/2 cup salted sunflower seed kernels (or other nuts if you prefer)
1/2-1 cup cheddar cheese

Dressing
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)

Combine the broccoli, cranberries, red onion, sunflower seed kernels, and cheese in a bowl and toss with the dressing. Refrigerate for at least an hour - it often tastes better the next day. 

I've seen recipes that call for other additions like crumbled bacon, celery, grapes, etc. You can also make it without the cheese if you want. (But why would you want to? ha ha ha)

No comments: