Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sushi

The picture at the top of the blog is actually from the very first time we ever made homemade sushi for one of our Sunday dinners, and I can't believe I haven't posted anything about it yet!! We are having it for dinner tonight and so I thought I would put the instructions while I was thinking about it. Making your own sushi is suprisingly easy and oh so good!

First cook your rice. While your rice is cooking combine the following ingredients in a small pot:
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 T. sugar
1/2 T. salt

Stir over low heat until they are a solid mixture of the ingredients (you don't want it grainy!)
When the rice is cooked, mix the vinegar mixture into it with a WOODEN (this is important) spoon and let it cool at room temperature (don't put it in the fridge, the texture does not turn out!)

Putting the sushi together is easy. You can buy seaweed wraps at pretty much any grocery store (ex: in Walmart's Asian foods section) Lay your seaweed wrap on any mat (bamboo works great) and place a good size spoonful of rice onto your wrap. Using your fingers spread the rice out to cover the entire wrap. Then along one edge of the wrap add your sushi fillings...this can be pretty much anything. Some of our favorite combinations are:

imitation crab, avacado and cucumber
smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber
cream cheese, avacado and cucumber

You can add whatever you want, carrots, different types of fish, whatever!

Then you roll them up (the rice makes it stick!) and slice them into bite sized sushi! You can dip them in soy sauce, or add wasabi or ginger too!
These really are easy, and if you haven't tried it before you should! Yummy!

No comments: